James Hardy Wilkinson, FRS (1919-1986)
This mini website, curated by Sven Hammarling and Nick Higham, collects information about the mathematician James Hardy Wilkinson. If you have suggestions for additions, please contact us.
- James Hardy Wilkinson at MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, by J. O’Connor and E. F. Robertson.
- James H. Wilkinson at Wikipedia.
- Dedication in special issue of Linear Algebra and its Applications in honour of Jim Wilkinson, by Gene Golub and Cleve Moler
- James Hardy (“Jim”) Wilkinson by Beresford Parlett, at ACM Turing Award site.
- James Hardy Wilkinson at Encyclopedia.com.
- Remembering James Hardy Wilkinson at SIAM News, by Sven Hammarling and Nicholas Higham.
In His Own Words
- Oral history by James H. Wilkinson at SIAM History of Numerical Analysis and Scientific Computing site.
- This audio interview with Wilkinson is “10 J H Wilkinson” in The Pioneers of Computing, a series of interviews as part of an oral history of computing compiled by Dr Christopher Evans with the support of the Science Museum London and the National Physical Laboratory in Teddington. It was recorded in Teddington in 1976″.
- Piloting Computing – Alan Turing’s Automatic Computing Engine – the history of the ACE, with contributions from Jim Wilkinson.
- The Pilot Ace, 1982 – Jim Wilkinson and Mike Woodger talking about Turing and Pilot ACE.
Prizes and Fellowships in His Honour
- James H. Wilkinson Prize in Numerical Analysis and Scientific Computing – SIAM
- James H. Wilkinson Prize for Numerical Software – SIAM
- J. H. Wilkinson Fellowship in Scientific Computing – Argonne National Laboratory
- Workshop Advances in Numerical Linear Algebra: Celebrating the Centenary of the Birth of James H. Wilkinson, University of Manchester, May 29-30, 2019.